Sunday, February 8, 2009

Delicious Corn Bread


I love, love, love this cornbread recipe. In fact it's Andy's favorite. The first time I had it was when I was in culinary school. We made it almost everyday for the restaurant. It's very most and very addictive. Once piece is never enough. It is so sweet and most with a tiny bit of heat. I also learned from making this what to do if you don't have creamed corn. I looked for the canned cream corn at school forever before I finally asked my teacher. That is when she told me, "Take some corn and add heavy cream." Yeah, I felt stupid, but a great lesson learned. This recipe makes a ton, so just freeze the leftovers. 

Green Chili Corn Bread: 3- 9" cake rounds 

1 pound butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cornmeal
8 eggs
3 cups flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey
1 cup diced green chili peppers (if using canned drain then measure)
3 cups creamed corn
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup jack cheese, shredded

1. Preheat the oven 425 degrees. Spray 3- 9 inch round cake pans.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and cornmeal on high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.  
3. Add eggs.
4. In a separate bowl; mix flour , powder and salt together. Pour on top of butter egg mixture. Don't mix. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix just until Incorporated. 
5. Divide into cake pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Hints:
1. These can be made into muffins. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 425 for 15-20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.  
2. You can use any kind of cheese you like. This is just my favorite combination. 
3. Fresh jalapeno peppers can be substituted for the canned diced chili peppers. They will add a lot more heat. 
4. These just get better with age. If you do freeze the left over, make sure to let them unthaw at room temperature when you want to eat them again. Not the microwave. 


No comments: