Sunday, July 20, 2008

Books, Science & Mardi Gras

The third week in July and the the week in August are my busiest time for work. This is the time that we have our two major tournaments at the country club and I get to do tons of desserts and a show piece cake. I work 40 hours in about 4 days. Its fun. I'm tired. So this week on top of the tournament stuff I also did a grooms cake. I know, I'm crazy, but the girl was so nice I couldn't say no. Her now husband loves cycle and run and spends all the rest of his time in a science lab so here is the cake. 

Her new hubby had just completed a cycling thing (I call it a thing because it's not a race I guess it is more of a personal challenge) called the Mountain of Misery. They bike all around this part of Virginia. I think it is about 26 miles of hills. Fun huh. I would love to say I could do that, but I know I don't have it in me. Way to go cycling people. 
The tournament this year was a Mardi Gras theme. It started out with cupcakes and lots of Kings cake with four fillings: caramel pecan, mixed berry, cream cheese and a combination of cream cheese and mixed berry. They were kind of a nightmare, because the kitchen was so hot. It took two tries to get it right. That does not make a fun long day. 
Now the show piece cake. I love the way this turned out. It is my first Whimsical cake. The whole time I was making it I felt like it was going to fall over. I kept wanted to push the top tier over even thought I knew it couldn't. It's very well supported. I feel bad for the girls that had to cut this cake. It is not going to be easy to take apart. 


I also made gumpaste masks to go with the cake, but ended up not really needing them so I just placed them around the cake. 




All in all it was a long week, but I love making this cake, plus the paycheck is awesome. What can I say. I'm superficial. I hope everyone had a good week and thank you for all your awesome comments you have given me on my cakes. That is what makes it all worth it. 
Oh, a little side note. LINDSEY COMES TO VISIT TODAY FOR TRHEE WEEKS. How fun is that. I'm so excited. I really miss my sisters and wish I lived closer. Maybe someday. 

7 comments:

Lara said...

That has to be the coolest cake I have ever seen!! Wow! Good work! I wish I lived closer so you could make me a cake! ;)

Toni said...

The cake is really cool and the masks look awesome.

Kaymee said...

I love that mardi gras cake!! it just looks like fun! So much talent, yet again!

Ioana said...

WOW!!!That's all I can say! You are absolutely amazing!

Shauna said...

Adalyn said, "I like Jyl Bugs Cakes!" "I love her and I love her funny cakes that she makes." "But I haven't ever seen a Princess Cake?" "But I have seen an Elmo Cake you made." "But I haven't seen a real america flag cake like the one that goes outside." "I love you Jyl Bug, ALOT!"

Jyl, Adalyn loves leaving comments on your blog. I love these cakes as well. The books are so fun & realistic & the whimsical cake is so fun with the shape of the pieces. Love, love them. Whenever I get caught up on my blog I am going to do a post all about your cakes. Have fun with Beanie. Wish we were there too.

Laine said...

hi jyl, i love your cakes. i hope that you are doing a good job. they are so beautiful. me and my sisters are having a lot of fun together and i have a fun baby sister that I love playing with and she laughs a lot. i love you jyl, bye. love nicole

Hollie said...

Hey Jyl, the cakes are awesome!!! I forgot to tell you today that I found your CDs!!!!!!So email me over your address or I'll wait till you send me something:)

Later Gator!