Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fresh Air, Bags and Brains

 I feel like in the last two years andy and I have gotten into a no fun funk. We both have been so busy. He works and then comes home and works around the house or at other peoples homes. I work and then come home and work all evening and most weekends on my cakes. We just don't seem to have much time for fun. I'm hoping we aren't the only people in this no fun funk (for clarification a no fun funk is when andy and I do not get to do the things we enjoy together as a couple.  I hope that helps some of you). Well, this weekend I decided it was time for fun. Andy and I love to do things outside. We love hiking camping, and rock climbing; anything that gets you out in the fresh air. Saturday we were able to take a short hike in floyd. It felt like a perfect fall day. It felt so good to get to the top, feel the breeze and see the view. It was exactly what I needed. On the way down we decided that we have to bring the fun back. We work to live not live to work. Wish us luck. Here are some pictures of our hike. 




This week I was also able to make two cakes for a lady who's son just finished all the requirements to become a neurologist. He will now be joining a practice in Mississippi. She thought it would be fun to make a doctors bag (with mississippi mud cake inside) and also a brain cake for his birthday (they celebrated for 2 day). I loved making the brain cake. I don't know why, but I did. That's not true. I have always loved anatomy. I loved it in college and had fun with it in high school. Oh, girls. Do you remember our big fat cake. Sorry, Jo for splattering you with cat guts. 



5 comments:

Hollie said...

Wow, that brain looks tasty! Was it red velvet cake inside?

Oh, and I'm glad you can actually have fun again after two years.....yeah, that was the ONLY time I lived there....sad.

I admit, I was in an outdoors funk too. I was only able to ride my bike once out there because of that stupid hill I lived on, and I think I never swam in Christiansburg, only when I went on vacation away from there. Oh, and after a 5 year slump I'm finally going on a weekend camping trip. I can't wait, Mckenzie is going to LOVE it!!!! Many pictures to come next weekend!!!!!

Later Gator...I miss ya a ton!!!!

Toni said...

I love the brain cake. They're both awesome as usual, but I think the idea of eating a brain is funner.

Good luck getting out of your funk. I think a lot of us suffer from that.

Hollie said...

Oh Jyl, you left yourself wide open for that one...haha.

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

awesome as always! Oh, and you look so cute in the picture on top of the mountain. :)

~Wein

Laine said...

Sweet pictures, sweet cakes!