This has been a very productive week. I ordered my food storage, painted 2 bathrooms, worked, BOUGHT MY WEEZER TICKETS (a way early birthday present for myself) and a whole lot more. We fed the missionaries Wednesday. This is something I love to do especially right now because we have sister missionaries and they are a ton of fun. I also love to experiment with food on them. I make all recipes that I have been saving. Sometimes it is good, and other not so good. This week was awesome. I made fry bread with a texas chili on top other wise know as Navajo Tacos. Yeah, girls, you remember those. When ever we fry things (which isn't very often because I do not like fried food) I always use my fry daddy aka Andy. For some reason he is awesome at it. See.

This is what they are supposed to look at. Aren't they gorgeous.

I then had the sisters compete to see who could make the best looking taco. This is the one that one. Here is the recipe:
3 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 to 1 1/4 cups of water
oil for frying
You then just mix all of it in a bowl. Gently knead the dough into a ball and form it into a long about 3 inches in diameter. Let it rest for 10 minutes (you need to use the dough within a few hours) Portion into 8 pieces. Roll the dough or flatten it until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
Place oil in a pan about an inch thick. Place over medium high heat. When it is hot, but not to hot, add one or two scones to the oil. Make sure the oil isn't to hot. You do not want to burn them. Fry 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
You can top this with your favorite chili or shredded meat recipe with sourcream, lettuce, cheese and salsa or you can just drizzle it with honey which is just divine.

After dinner we were all talking and I was picking paint out of my hair when I saw it. My first gray hair. It is hard to see in this picture, but it is there next to the red hair. I almost died. I am way to young to have a gray hair and I do not even have children. Don't worry I have checked the rest of my hair and I haven't found another one, but I am still paranoid.

Here are the cakes I made this week at work. They were for 3 and 5 year old little boys named Ford and Hank. Don't those names sound so old for such little kids. I don't know why, but it makes me laugh. My boot looks more like a snow boot and the star looks like a star of david. I'm just not that great at using frosting to make shaped cakes. I would rather use fondant.


So on the way home I saw something in the road. At first I thought it was a skunk so I slowed down, I did not want to hit that, but as I got closer I saw that is was a huge turtle. I have never seen one this big in the road.

I love to save turtles. I have a one a week quota that I try to feel. I just hate seeing them dead in the road. I will stop anywhere in the road just to save a turtle, and I planned on saving this one too.

I just happened to be talking to my mom on the phone and I asked if turtles could hurt you, because this was a big turtle. She said they could if they were a snapping turtle. That made me totally nervous. Andy said they could bight your finger off. Even though I was scared I still wanted to save it. It has to be really old to be this big. I walked up behind it and decided to just tap it with my toe to see what it would no. I have never been frightened so bad. That thing hissed, then whipped around to face me in about 1 second. I started to freak out. We are talking screaming, jumping and running away. Nobody told me turtles were that fast. I seriously had a heart attack. My mom was on the phone saying Jyl are you all right. This is what the turtle looked like when it spun around to see me.

Well, I ran away like a little girl. Sorry turtle. Hopefully someone braver than me came along and saved it. Enough about turtles. The rest of my week was going to see Babylon AD (I love vin diesel) and going to the Hillsville flea market. It is supposedly the largest on this side of the Mississippi. Yes, people love to use turns that involve the Mississippi river and the mason Dixon line. People are so southern. Well, it was interesting and fun all at the same time. The interesting part was all the people walking around with new guns and rifles. It was kind of scary. I believe that is the hot buy at this thing. One guy had 2 guns in his backpack and had a sign on the back of his bag saying he was looking for this gun and that. I think he had 3 guns listed. I do not like guns. I was excited. There was a guy from new york there selling african artifact. I love african artifacts especially the dan passport masks and he had one. I now only need 4 more to complete my collection (to feel up the thing they are on), but I would love a hundred more. I'm going to have to get a bigger thing. All in all it was a great week. Sorry this was another long one.

5 comments:
I've heard that for every gray hair you pull out 5 more appear (:
You are lucky that snapping turtle didn't get you.
oh great, I guess I have 5 more to come.
The food looks delicious! Tell Andy I was totally impressed with his frying. They really look perfect. I can't wait to try it. I might even invite someone over to share it with...that would be a huge step for me/us. Crazy about the turtle...I didn't know they could move quickly either. Oh, and I'm for sure going to do the Stampin' Up thing, so if you think of anyone else that may want to order, let me know. Thanks Bug! Love you.
~Wein
Busy week... I love your turtle story. You had me laughing out loud, I can just picture your reaction. So funny! By the way, we are going to see Weezer too- they are coming here in october. :-)
You guys fried food!!!! No way, I'm in shock! You gotta love those Navajo tacos, I had a friend in Utah that would make them a lot....she was actually Navajo too, now that I think about it.
So, I can just imagine the Jyl squeal as you were running away from the turtle....good stuff.
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to call there has been a lot going on. Here is the short list:
camping
Mckenzie started school
wolf spiders (long story)
Mckenzie's sick
training for the half in less than a month
Mom in a car accident and I'm heading to St. Louis in a few days.
I'll call when I'm driving and I'll catch you up on everything I think I'm leaving on Tuesday:)
Post a Comment