Friday, October 3, 2008

Snickers Pie

I love the fall and for some reason it always make me want to cook. I thought with the holiday's just around the corner I would share some of my favorite easy recipes with you. This first one is snickers pie. Let me tell you. It is YUMMY. The best part about this is you can make it the day before and just finish it right before you serve it.  I gave you both the fast and long version of making this pie, so just have fun with it. 

Snickers Pie
(from Pie by Ken Haedrich)

1 frozen 9" deep dish pie shell (or you can make your own)
1 (13 oz) bag of mini snickers bars, cut in half

Pre-bake the pie shell and cut up the snicker bars. 


Filling:
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3 1/2 tsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 c. whole milk (you can also use 1%. I haven't tried skim, but it might work)
3 large egg yolks
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tsp salt

Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in mil and egg yolks. Over medium-high heat, cook until it starts to boil (5-7 min) whisking constantly. Continue to cook for 1-1 1/2 min. whisking constantly. Take off the heat. Add the butter, peanut butter and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. 

Scatter the snickers pieces on the bottom of the cool pie shell reserving a hand full to scatter on top of the finished pie. Pour filling on top of snickers pieces. Shake the pie gently to settle the filling. Cover tightly with plastic wrap leaving no air gaps to prevent a skin forming over the filling. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. 

Finish:
Frozen Whipped Topping Thawed (or you can make your own)
Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
Reserved Snickers Pieces
Chopped Peanuts
Carmel Sauce (the stuff you put over ice cream)

Spread the whipped topping, then, very carefully, spread the chocolate sauce over top leaving a half an inch of whipped topping showing. Sprinkle the snickers pieces and peanuts on top then drizzle with the caramel sauce. This pie should be kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. 

Chocolate Sauce:
4 oz chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
1/4 cup butter (yes you have to use butter not margarine) 

Melt in the microwave, at 30 second intervals, until it is smooth. Spread over whipped topping while it is hot. 

Homemade Whipped Topping: Just in case you want to try
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place in a mixing bowl. With the balloon attachment (whip) whip the cream on the highest speed until stiff peaks. Use immediately. 


Tips:
1. If you want to make sure your pie slices are nice and clean when you cut them, dip your knife into water and whip dry with a clean towel between each cut. You can also freeze the pie for 30 minutes and precut and plate the pieces. 

2. Do not overcook the pie filling or you will get scrambled eggs. If you find that this has happened you can fix it. Stop cooking immediately. Pour the filling into a fine mesh strainer. The strainer will help filter out the scrambled eggs. 

4 comments:

Ioana said...

Why are you punishing me???? Now this is the only thing I have on my mind!!!!!!! LOL I HAVE to try it now! LOL

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

Woohoo! Hooray for new recipes. I definitely am going to have to try this. Yum, yum! ~Wein

Toni said...

I think I might have to try this.

summerk said...

Sounds yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!