Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rocks,Crafts, Bday, football

This week was a great week. We started out last saturday with a rock climbing trip. If you didn't know I love rock climbing. I got into it seven years ago. We climbed indoors for the first two years. I wanted andy to know what it was like to climb outside so we set up a weekend with Hard Rock Climbing, an outfitter in West Virginia. They taught what to buy and how to set up so we could do it ourselves. We have been climbing outdoors ever since. We loved our instructor Erin so much, each fall we go back and have her take us out for the day.  It's mostly for fun, but it's also nice to have someone take you to new spots. She also know what we know and what we need to improve on and she pushes us to be better climbers. Now if you are wondering if I am afraid of heights the answer is yes. Very, but that is why I love it. It not only challenges me physically, but mentally. It teaches me if I just try, just endure a little longer, I can succeed. Plus I love to look up at the route when I 'm done. It just feels awesome to know you just concord that rock. I'm a dork, but I don't care. Climbing is awesome. On to our annual trip to West Virginia. We climbed 6 routes, saw two snake skins and a ton of ..........
Yes, that is real. The spiders were huge. This weekend Erin had us working on Crack climbing. That is when their is a crack running up the wall and you use that to get yourself up, by putting your hands, feet, or sometimes both in the crack. You get really banged up and you never know what you might put your hand in. Here are some pictures of us climbing. 



I was so happy to get to the top on this one. On the last 3 routes, we had to repel down the wall, then we had to climb back up. Erin belayed us from up top instead of the bottom like you usually do. Let me tell you. It is freaky. It feels like your not attached to anything, like your climbing without a rope. I was just so happy to make it to the top with out completely freaking out. I guess by this picture erin was happy too. 
I also felt very crafty this last week, so I made my mom make some crafts with me to celebrate fall.  



We also celebrated my sister in laws birthday this past week. She turned 24 on the 24th. Sorry the pictures aren't better. Andy refused to get off the couch. We had an awesome feast with the family and got to eat yummy carrot cake cupcakes. Happy Birthday Kimmie.
The Birthday Girl. 

Last, but not least this week I did a cake for a Tech long distant tailgate party (tech played Nebraska at Nebraska). If you were wondering tech won. Here's the cake.
Close up on one tough hokie bird. 

Close up on Herbie husker getting the trash kicked out of him by a turkey. This was definitely a fun cake to make. 

4 comments:

Toni said...

I love the cake. I also love the pictures of you climbing. That's awesome.

Lara said...

Love the cake, Jyl! I love to rock climb too! Julia and Ryan got me into it when we lived in Provo. We would go up Rock Canyon all the time to climb and we loved it. Mark climbs too - he took a class in college and that has helped him a lot. He is afraid of heights too, so he gets nervous when he climbs, but he does great. I have never heard of someone belaying from the top, that must have been weird. I am not crafty at all, though I wish I was! I wish my mom was closer to do some fun crafty things with.

Shauna said...

Spider = Gross, gross, & more gross
Climbing = scary & amazing
crafts = too cute
cake = so adorable & so funny

I just finished teaching preschool, both girls are taking a nap (I know, never happents) & I think my brain has decided to stop working for the time being.

Therefore, you get this lovely comment.

Love you bug! Miss Ya!

Laine said...

Your talk of rock climbing gets my heart beating faster! You are so brave jyl!! your cakes are amazing, like always. I love seeing your work.