I have wanted to go to Dollywood since I moved to Virginia 13 years ago, but have never been able to talk Andy into going. Everyone around her goes to Dollywood and Myrtle Beach. Seriously. Everyone. I wanted to see why it was so popular. When Rachel called us to tell us we were going we were so excited. After only a three hour drive (who new it was so close and the girls were so amazing during the car ride. We only had to stop once for food and a diaper change) we were all excited to get out of the car and explore out cabin.
This was the view we were greeted with. I have always loved Tennessee (Andy went to East Tennessee State in Johnson City, TN) and this view reminded me why. The blue ridge mountains are gorgeous, Tennessee is gorgeous and we couldn't have timed our visit any better to see the changing of the leaves.That night we ate take out for Rachel's birthday and enjoyed a super strong crazy wind storm that made the whole cabin sway. Andy got there later that night and was greeted with sleepy but happy kids (Alice got to go in the hot tub that always makes her happy) and tons of leftover delicious food.The next day we woke up to once again the most gorgeous view. We ate breakfast and then were off to Dollywood (just a few minute drive from the cabin).
We were supper excited about going to Dollywood and we weren't disappointed. It was awesome. The first thing we encountered where fun booths full of amazing artisans that still made things the old fashioned way like basket weaving, blacksmithing, wood bending and carving, etc. Rachel and I both got the most gorgeous baskets from an older gentleman that bends his own wood by first soaking the wood in a stream, then bending it on a tube attached to a wood burning stove, then shapes it into the gorgeous baskets. It was so cool to see. While we were getting our baskets Alice was getting to know the ducks. The had a bag of popcorn, and I guess the ducks loved popcorn. They followed her all over waiting for her to throw some popcorn so they could gobble it up. It was hilarious.
We couldn't believe how gorgeous the day was. It was tshirt and pants weather on Nov. 1st. Awesome. We were all happy for some warmth and sun. Also there was hardly anyone there so we rarely had to wait in line and we were able to ride everything several times.
We just happened to at Dollywood the same time as a couple of our friends the skinners, and the burninghams each who have kids Alice's age. The best part about Dollywood is that it is small enough that you can't help running into each other so we got to ride some rides together. Alice thought it was so cool.
After spending the day at Dollywood we headed back to the cabin for some resting, so Cora could move around (she was carried and stuck in a stroller a lot) and some dinner. I think we had leftovers for dinner, but I know we had a continued celebration of Rachel's birthday by surprising her with a dozen cupcakes from Bubble Cakes (a delicious cupcake store here). I think I ate half of them myself.
That night Cora thought she would try her hand at climbing the stairs. She figured it out pretty fast and loved it. To this day it is still her favorite thing to do.
The next day was another half day at dollywood and Cora's first time on a ride. She loved it. She stuck her tongue out the whole time and squealed. It was so fun to watch.
Alice got to pan for gold, which we both thought was super cool. I guess Andy did this when he was a little kid. I thought you would get one or two rocks, but she ended up with a whole bag. It was awesome.
Later in the day it started to get a little chilly and even started to sprinkle. At that time we decided it would be fun to go on the log flume. You know. Who wouldn't want to get all wet when it's cold. Well, Alice loved it so much we rode it about 5 times in a row with out getting off since there was NO ONE else in line. We even got to ride it a couple times with Alice's friends. By the end I think it was full on raining, but by that time we were so wet it didn't matter.
Soon after we got off the ride the rain let up and we were able to do a few more rides. Andy and I went on a few of the big kid roller coasters and then Alice finished off the day with a few more rides. Cora was the best baby ever. She was just happy to be with us and to be held so much. These are my favorite two pictures from our trip to Tennessee. I think they sum up our trip. Pure happiness.
That night we had Mellow Mushroom pizza, which was delicious, Alice got in the hot tub for the third and final time, slept our last night in our amazing cabin, and the next morning we said goodbye to Tennessee All in all Dollywood was awesome and i can't wait to go back. In fact thanks to Santa we have season passes. I hope this becomes a family tradition.






















1 comment:
Awesome. We should totally do this our next trip out there.
Post a Comment