Saturday, January 11, 2014

Florida/Universal Studios

Three days, yes I said three days later, after getting back from Dollywood we jumped on an airplane and headed to Florida for our annual Disney World Trip ( Rachel only had one day before she started her drive to Florida). 

Alice was excited about testing our her new headphones on the plane. Cora and Alice were awesome on the plane. Alice read books, colored and watched movies and Cora munched the whole way.
After getting off the plane and being greeted by Mike and Rachel we were ofter to our hotel. We stayed at the Hilton at Sea World just like last year since we had so much fun. That night we followed tradition and ate at the T-Rex restaurant at Downtown Disney. It was delicious as always. 
Cora loved it when all the dinosaurs went off. 
Alice was a little nervous, but she got over it pretty quick and then she had to take each one of us on a tour of the restaurant to see all the dinosaurs.

Like each year we go we never really have a plan, we just wake up and do whatever we feel like. This first morning we were deciding between Lego Land and Universal Studios. Finally time decided for us (since it was already ten and Lego Land was an hour away and Andy felt bad going to Lego Land since our niece Adalyn has always wanted to go there and hasn't been able to) so we were off to Universal studios. I was was of course super excited since I would be able to go back to Harry Potter World. We started out on the old side I think it's actually called Universal Studios the other being Island Adventure. 

Our first stop was the Despicable Me ride. It is a 4D ride and Alice did not like it. It scared her. I thought it was super cool. 

Next was Shrek. It was also a 4D ride and once again Alice didn't love it, but she was excited to meet Shrek and Donkey after the ride. I guess they asked her if she was from florida and she told them no. They then asked her how she got here and she told them, "on a dragon." Too funny. 
After Shrek we headed to the woody wood pecker roller coaster and fievel goes west area. Alice loved this. We had to ride the roller coaster about 3 or 4 times and then we went to the fievel part which was so cute. It was a fun play ground that looked like you had shrunk so there were giant brooms, buckets, books etc. Alice even talked her dad and Rachel into going on the water ride. Andy got a little wet and Rachel got soaked. Next was the Simpsons were we had delicious tacos from The Bumblebee Man Taco Truck. They were seriously delicious. We rode on a ride that took forever since it broke down and we decided to wait. It was like dumbo, but with aliens. I was more than happy to stand in line and wait so I could stare at the construction for phase two of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

After the simpsons we were headed back to the beginning so we could ride the one big roller coaster, Rip Ride Rockit, and then head over to the Island Adventure side. On the way we passed The Revenge of the Mummy. I remembered that was Kurtis and Lindsey's favorite ride they rode when they were here so we had to ride it plus all the mummy movies are Andy's favorites. Mike decided to go with us. When we got to the front to get on the ride Mike saw a sign that said, "this ride catapults guest at speeds up to 45 mph in virtual darkness. Now Andy's dad does not like roller coasters and this ended up kind of like a roller coaster. He was a trooper and went on it, but I don't think he liked it. I thought it was cool. It was different than anything I had been on. It went forward, backwards, it would turn, then drop, there was fire and or course the mummy. The Rip Ride Rockit Roller coaster fun fun to. You first pick a song on like an ipod to listen to while you ride the roller coaster then the first part of the roller coaster is fast and then the last part you just roll around listening to the song. It was fun. Now we were off to Island Adventure. First stop Dr. Seuss. Alice thought it was amazing. We each had to ride the cat in the hat ride one after the other, then we were off to the Caro-Seuss-el. 
We all got to ride this one together. I think the only one that didn't was Mike. I couldn't decide if Cora like it or hated. Sometimes she was so happy and then other times she looked like she was scared to death. I thought it was adorable.


Next was One Fish, Two Fish. We all thought it was another dumbo ride which it was, but Andy and Alice got a big surprise. You get soaked. The spray water at you from all different angles and no matter how hard you try to move it up or down to avoid the water you get soaked. I loved it and so did Alice. Both Andy and I took a turn and then it was Mikes.
Cora took a little bit of a snack brake during this ride. What a good kid. 

Before Mike would get on he insisted on wearing his poncho so he wouldn't get wet. It was hilarious.
Check him out holding it closed so not a drop got in. We all got a kick out of it, but I will say, he was dry and we were all wet.
Next stop, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I was so excited to take my kids to Harry Potter world. I love Harry Potter and I love Harry Potter. First off was the dragons challenge. It's so fun and while I was on the ride I could see the new train tracks and on those train tracks was the Hogwart Express. I think I might have squealed with delight. Then it was a walk through Hogsmeade, then Alice and Andy headed off to ride Flight of the Hippogriff and I talked Rachel into riding Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey which is the ride that was in the castle. It was awesome as usual and when we got off Rachel said, "I have to admit, that might be the best roller coaster I have ever been on." In fact she liked it so much she made Mike go on it with her a second time. Happiness. 

Alice loved the Flight of the Hippogriff. She road it 7 times. A couple times with Andy, a couple times with Rachel, I think mike went on it once and I went on it at least 3 times. It is a great soft roller coaster. Every time we would pass the Hippogriff sleeping Alice would say, "look mom, the eagle is pooping out his eggs." That is what she says about chickens too and I think it's so funny I never correct her. Pooping out eggs. Too funny.

While Andy rode the Hippogriff with Alice a couple more times and Mike and Rachel went on the Forbidden Journey, Cora and I got a butterbeer and just hung out on our awesome picnic blanket. We shared the butterbeer and Cora ate a bunch of snacks. It was nice just relaxing, eating, drinking delicious frozen butterbeer, hanging out with Cora and watching the joy on Alice's face while she experienced the magic of Harry Potter. It was a little piece of heaven for me. My cup was full.


Since it was getting dark we decided to head back. We did two more rides in Jurassic Park. The Pteranodon Flyer which was cool. I got to ride that with Alice. You sit in a Swing thing and just sore above the tree tops. So beautiful and relaxing. Then we finished the night with Jurassic Park River Adventure. We thought it was going to be one of those water rides where you sit in the big round raft tube things and go through rapids. Um no we were really off. Remember it is dark by this time. You start off in this giant boat like a log flume, but a boat. You are floating through a jungle and then all the sudden there are sparks and sirens and flashing lights. Then the boat veers off course into a restricted area. There are scary screeches and slash marks. Dinosaurs pop out left and right and then you start heading up up up. At this point I have covered Alice's eyes just in time for a giant T-Rex to drop down from the ceiling and then you go down a really big drop. Lets just say Alice really didn't like. She looked at Andy and I and said, "I never ever never want to do that again." What a way to end the night. The funniest part was on the way back we asked Alice what her favorite ride was and she said it was the dinosaur ride. Go figure. It was an awesome day. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

my favorite picture is grumpy grandpa in the poncho. he's such a good grandpa! :-)

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

One word: JEALOUS!!!!!!!