Not a week after we got back from Seattle it was Alice's first birthday. I can not believe that it's been a year. We survived a whole year. It has been a really hard, but rewarding year. This kid is awesome and I couldn't wait to celebrate her birthday. Alice of course had no idea what day it was or what was going on. She was just so happy to have so many people around.
We had an afternoon party right after nap time so Alice would be her happiest. She had so much fun running around trying to get food from whomever would feed her.

We had so many awesome people show up for her birthday party. There was my mom (my dad was in Utah speaking at a funeral of a good friend), Andy's parents, Kimmie and Michael, Michael's dad, Aunt Dee Dee, Great Grandma Bowman, Chris and Cerina, and of course we had to invite Alice's best friend in the whole world, Kennedy and her mom and dad.

Thanks to my mom, Rachel and I we had tons of glorious food for her party and check out that Edible Arrangement. I was so excited when Rachel walked in the door with this beauty. I have always wanted one, but am to cheap to buy one. Not only was it gorgeous it tasted wonderful. I made sure to have some hummus there for Alice. Alice loves hummus. I also made homemade rolls with chicken salad, cuban sandwiches and cupcakes. My mom brought frog eye salad, veggies and chips and dip. Rachel brought the fruit, pasta salad and macaroni. (Lindsey, doesn't this sound like your journal. I thought Alice would like to know what we ate for her first birthday)


When it came to opening presents it was definitely anticlimactic. We had Chris and Cerina give her the presents. She tried to open one present and then lost interest and wanted to play.
A little later she wanted to sit in her little red chair and open a present.
She loved her animated dog (that sings I Feel Good) from her Aunt Dee Dee. She still drags that thing over to me a hundred times a day and wants me to play it so she can dance to it. 
I would have to say her top three things she got for her birthday was the tea pot from Michael's parents, the singing dog and the wiggles movie from Chris and Cerina. Oh, I forgot, the one present Alice actually showed excitement immediately about were some clothes that my mom got her. I know. It cracked me up. Since then she has discovered all of her presents and loves them like crazy. After the forever long present opening we all just hung out for a while while we cleaned some stuff up in anticipation of the cake.



Now for the cake. I really didn't want to give Alice cake. I wanted to make her a meat loaf cake with mashed potato icing, but every gave me such a hard time about it, I gave in and made her a cake. It was a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting on the inside and homemade whipped cream on the inside.
Alice wasn't sure what to think of it when we presented it to her. Andy of course had to blow out the candle. If I would have thought about it earlier I would have practiced with Alice, but I didn't even think about it.
It took a ton of work to get her to take the first bite, but finally she ate some of the cake. The pictures are very deceiving. Alice really didn't like the cake. Since then I have tried to give her sweet things, but she just isn't interested. I wish I had that attitude.
Now I know it looks like Alice ate a ton of her cake, but Andy actually ripped it apart for her so I guess it would look cooler. I don't know. After about 5 minutes Alice was done and wanted down.
Even though Alice didn't like the cake and didn't want to open her presents (don't worry I know she is only one I didn't have huge expectations) the birthday was wonderful. Good food and tons of family and friends. Just what a birthday should be. A few of my favorite things from our first year:
1)Seeing Alice for the very first time. She was crying and they gave her to me, I was talking to her to calm her and she stopped crying. She knew I was her mommy. At that moment I became a mommy.
2)The first time Alice smiled at us. It made all the sleepless nights worth it.
3)The first time Alice rolled over. It was amazing. I screamed and clapped my head off.
4)The first time she stood up in her crib. She was so proud of herself and I was shocked it happened.
5)Holding Alice while she sleeps. It's amazing plus the only time she stops moving. She is such an angel.
6)The first time she said momma and Dada. Who doesn't love that.
7)Alice's face when she ate her first thing of peas. Total happiness.
8)Alice walking for the first time. Once again I wasn't ready for it, but I find it adorable such a tiny little kid could walk.
9)Alice following me around like a little puppy. It's so awesome having a little thing that likes you that much that she wants to be around you all the time.
10)Watching Alice dance for the very first time, bobbing up and down to the wiggles.
11)The first time Alice sat in my lap on purpose.
12)The millions of hugs and kisses that I have been able to give her over a year.
Ok, I'm going to stop otherwise this list could go on forever.
I am just so thankful to be Alice's mommy and that I get to spend every day with her. I love her smile and toothy grin. It melts my heart every time. I love how she lights up a room and can make anyone smile. I love that she still wants me to hold her before she falls asleep. I love that she will bring me the phone and say Dada when she misses her dad and does she love her dad. They are best buds. I love how Alice loves dogs more than anything in this world. She has good taste. Alice is a kidder. She cracks everyone one up. Alice loves to dance her heart out and I can't get enough of it. Alice is also the sweetest thing ever with a very mischievous side that always keeps you on your toes. Man do I love this kid. She is my world. She makes my heart full and I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

2 comments:
Alice has the best Mommy ever. She is so happy. I love her cake.
Bug I love this post. I just wish I could be around Alice (and all of my nieces for that matter) all of the time. I love all the deatails and cute pictures. Yes, your paragraph about food reminds me exactly of my old journals. :) Cracked me up, and this may be sad, but I loved hearing about all the food you ate even now. I guess I haven't changed too much in the last 15 years. Maybe next year I can be there for Alice's party. ~Wein
P.S. Tell Andy he looks handsome in the pictures, especially the one of just him.
Post a Comment