Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A One Year Olds New tricks

Well, it's hard to believe that Alice has been one for almost a month now. I thought she learned a ton in that first year, but each day it is something new. Alice said her first word (besides Momma and Dada), Doggy. I'm not kidding. Every time she saw Tucker she would scream doggy. It's so cute. She is also working on Hi Alley, but that one is going to take a while. She has the hi, but the alley is just a long aaaaaa-e. Alice has also finally learned the signs for more and all done. I had given up trying to teach her the signs. Every time I did them she would just give me a dirty look like, mom, why are you so dumb. Well, one afternoon I asked her if she was all done with her luck and low and behold there where the hand shakes. The next meal I asked her if she wanted more and she touched her hands together. Now sh
e uses it for all kinds of things. She will tell me all done if she doesn't like what she is eating then she will point to what she wants and say more. When she wants me to start her singing dog she will do more. It feels like we have had a major brake through. We are actually communicating with more then screams and cries. It has made meal time so much better.
Ok, I just threw these in because I thought Alice looks so cute in her new boots. (Lindsey can you believe she still fits into this outfit) And check out that tongue. I swear it's getting longer and longer everyday.
Alice has found a new thing that she loves to drink out of. She has never really loved drinking out of a sippy cup, but the other day Alice saw Andy drinking out of this Nalgene bottle and she wanted to try it. Now it is the only thing she wants to drink out of. It's so funny watching her walk around with this giant bottle.Alice has these foam books that have little pieces that you can remove from the inside. She loves to grab the book and then head over to Alley's bed. She then will sit there and pull out all the pieces and then she is off to put them into what cup, bucket or container she can find. This is also new. Before now she only new how to pull things out, now she will walk around with her Halloween bucket picking up things and putting them in the bucket.
Today I found Alice sitting in this green chair of mine. The thing is, I didn't put her in it.
She did it all by herself.
The only thing she has ever climbed on was her little red chair so this was a big deal. She was so proud of herself. She did it over and over again until she was so tired she was ready for her nap.
The scariest thing Alice has been able to do, is reach the top of the table or I should say tables. The table used to be were I would hide things I didn't want Alice to touch, now if that stuff is anywhere near the edge it will end up on the floor. Between crawling on things and reaching things, nothing is safe in this house.
Let me tell, you. I am loving this one year old. She is so much fun I can't stand it. I can't wait to see the next thing she will learn.

4 comments:

Laine said...

Is it strange to love a person you've never met? I think not. I love her. She's beautiful, and I love your descriptions of what she's up to...she is alive in my mind and heart.

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

Alice is so cute. I love all the new things she is learning, especially the words, signs, and pointing. Such the good communicator and it only gets better. It's fun to see "typical" development happening. I sometimes forget what that is like. Loved all the pictures, especially her cute boots. :) Love you! ~Wein

Lara said...

She is adorable!! Don't give up on the signing - especially now that she is picking up on it. Do you have the baby signing time DVDs?? That is what we did with Landon and he loved it - and he learned all of the signs they teach and it definitely made communicating with him a TON easier. Once she starts to learn that she can tell you what she wants she will pick up on them easier and faster. She really is a doll. :)

Shauna said...

Yeah for your new post. I miss my cute little Alice. Love that stinkerness in her! Is that even a word? I also love what Elaine wrote. Sorry I get to still Mom away, but boy am I excited to have her for a few days.