Today the primary had an activity on being healthy. They had a basketball class, a yoga class (taught by my friend hollie and was the favorite of all the kids. Kids love yoga) and a healthy snack class taught by me. I though some of you would like to know these ideas. They are great for picky eaters, family home evening or just to spice things up. This is a long post so hang in there.
Lady Bug Apple (or you could just do a bug if you used a green apple)
Cut an apple in half, use peanut butter to glue on the raisins (or you could use any dried fruit of chocolate chips) The head is made from a strawberry. Cut the end off the end and stick a pretzel stick into it for the antenna.

Spider Cracker
I used a square cracker because I didn't have round, but round looks more like a bug. This was a second favorite for the kids. What kid doesn't want to say he ate a spider.
Take two crackers and fill it with peanut butter or cream cheese or a cheese spread. Take pretzel sticks and poke in sides to make legs. You can use chocolate chips or raisins for the eye balls.

Graham Cracker Chocolate Stick
This was all the kids favorite. Now your thinking how is this a healthy snack? Well, it is if you compare it to potato chips and oreo cookies.
Take pretzel sticks and have the kids dip them in chocolate, just at the end, you don't want to much chocolate. Then have them dip it in a variety of sprinkles or granola. It's a fun snack that tastes and looks good.

Lady Bug Strawberry
Take a strawberry and push mini chocolate chips into it. If you want you can use a grape for the head. You can also put these on skewers or tooth picks and stick them in honey dew or other kinds of melons to make it look like the lady bugs are crawling all over the fruit.

Peanut Butterfly
Take a piece of celery and fill it with peanut butter (or light cream cheese or cottage cheese) Use pretzels for the wings, a raisin for the head and break the pretzel to make the antennas. (the girls loved this)

Yummy Apples
Take low fat vanilla yogurt and spread it on a apple slice. Sprinkle with oatmeal. You could also cut the apple's into slices and then have the kids dip it into the yogurt and then into the granola. You know how kids love to dip things.

Cheese and Crackers
Cheese and crackers can be fun when you use a cookie cutter. You can also do this to make a ham and cheese cracker. Just cut the ham out with the cookie cutter. Now that is what I call a lunchable. You could also use cookie cutters to make a sandwich more fun for a kid to eat. Who wouldn't want a dinosaur sandwich. You can use a cookie cutter also to cut out vegetables like carrots and cucumbers to make interesting shapes that kids would like to eat.

So after we were done with the class hollie came over to my house for lunch. We ate the left overs (ok, hollie you look so tall and skinny with great boobs in this picture. Just wanted to share that with everyone. Sorry if I embarrass you)

While we were making lunch I made the flower cheese and crackers for Mckenzie to eat.

Hollie was jealous and wanted her own flowers, so here is her plate. Who says adults don't want fun food too.
Now I hope everyone takes this post and puts just a little more thought into what they are feeding their kids and how. Childhood obesity is insane here in the U.S. and we should be doing all we can to fight back at it. Please help make good choices for your kids, because they wont.

7 comments:
Oh yeah...I'm looking good. Thanks to my ginormus sports bra:) Although, did you see the picture below where I'm handing Mckenzie something and my gut is totally sticking out....nice!
Your food was so good,and sooooo cute!!!! I LOVED the flowers! That was probably the best lunch I've had in a while! Yogurt on apples is good people!!!! So good!
.....one more thing, I'm going to be so sore tomorrow!!!! I haven't done back bends in about 8 years!!! Not to mention the head stands, those kids made me work!
Jyl, that is sooo fun! I want to do these for sure. You are so creative! I laughed out loud at your comment to Hollie! My girls will be thanking you.
Holy Cow! Hollie did back bends and headstands. Too bad there is no video clip of that.
One more thing...Hollie's boobs always look fabulous. It's just not fair.
I'm still sore:)
Hollie, I can't believe your still sore and kellie, I agree with your comment. They really do always look good and no it's not fair. I'll never know what that is like.
Thanks Jyl and Hollie for doing a wonderful job at the activity. I know the kids really enjoyed. Also, cute adding maching cake.
Just hold a few melons in front of you all day!! Then, try and stuff them in a sprots bra and take a run!!!! That's what it feels like. It's awesome.
Post a Comment