Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkins

Every year Andy and I go to a pumpkin farm here in town and pick out a pumpkin straight off the vine. Well, this year we got to share the experience with little miss Alice. This year we really lucked out. We had wonderful warm, maybe even hot weather. Usually when we go we are freezing. Our first stop was the petting zoo. Since she chases the poor dog around the house all day trying to pet her I thought Alice would love the animals, but she was scared to death. I don't think it helped that the first thing she saw was a giant work horse, but she did not want to touch anything.
After a lot of persuasion and persistence, Alice finally pet a cow. Just for a second and then she wanted to leave.
Next stop was the mini hay maze. She loved it. She would craw up and then back down over and over again. She fell a couple of times, but she didn't care. She just got back up and did it again.
After the maze was the hay ride. I guess Alice thought it was relaxing since the was snuggled up on her dad's lap with her thumb in her mouth.
Now the pumpkins. This was her first time seeing a pumpkin let alone touching one. At first she just stood there. I think she was a little overwhelmed and then she started to walk around and touch each one.
It didn't take long before Alice wanted to pick up every pumpkin. She would try so hard. She would even grunt when trying to pull the pumpkin up. So funny.
And since Alice has an obsession with putting everything in her mouth it was just a matter of time before she was eating the pumpkins.
I don't think she liked it when some of the stem came off in her mouth. Yuck. But don't worry. Once the stem stuff was out of her mouth she was back to biting another stem.
After picking out a pumpkin for Andy and I we took Alice to the little pumpkin patch to pick out hers. We took her around and let her try to pick up the little pumpkins. When she finally found one she could pick up and walk around with, we decided that that was the one for her. She then carried it back to the place that you pay. Good thing it was tiny.
At the end there were troughs full of tiny tiny pumpkins. Alice had so much fun picking them up and throwing them over her shoulder. At one point Andy handed her the cutest tiny pumpkin.
Of course it ended up in her mouth. Yes, we bought a few of the tiny pumpkins too.

1 comment:

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

I love pumpkins. I love Alice. This was the perfect post. I'm glad you dressed her to coordinate colors with the pumpkins...makes the pictures even cuter. ;) ~Wein