Sunday, February 3, 2008

Oh, My Prophet

It has taken me a while to be able to express my feelings about our beloved prophet, President Gordan B. Hinckley, passing away last sunday night. That Sunday I was teaching the Relief Society Lesson in church. The lesson was from the President Hinkleys talk Slow to Anger from October general conference. I spent the entire week thinking about the prophet and how this applies to our daily lives. That night I couldn't sleep. I finally gave up and started playing on the computer. My sister Shauna emailed me to tell me the prophet passed away. The first thoughts that came into my mind were, "Oh, my prophet, my prophet." President Hinkley is the prophet that I think about when I actually gained a testimony of having a prophet on the earth today and what a significance that really is. It is hard to explain to people about a prophet, yet I know that is what he is just like moses in ancient times. I know that he was called of God to lead and guide this church. Even my husband who is not a member wanted to here him speak at general conference and knew and felt him to be a wonderful man. I loved his humor and how dedicated he was to the work of the church. I am thankful for the many temples that have gone up during his time. How thankful I am for eternal families and to know that he is with his sweet wife now and that it is only time till we can see him again. I miss President Hinckley dearly, but I know he passed his keys on and that we will always have a prophet on this earth to lead and guide us. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Blog Jyl.

Hollie said...

I liked hearing your thoughts about the Prophet. I've been watching things about him on KBYU all last night. He was such an amazing man....aside from being a prophet. The things he accomplished and especially his family and how he treated his wife. Their companionship was quite amazing! I love them and I'm so happy they are back together.

Whitney Hawley said...

HI! Thanks! I know he is a great catch I am very lucky! I can't wait to meet you two!